Friday, June 12, 2009

Bad

All best intentions aside, I am a really bad blogger. I understand the point of updating every few days, even if it is just a few sentences here and there. And I really don't have any excuse, I just haven't updated in a long time. Part of the reason is that I use my work computer to post entries most of the time because I am at work when I write, and I have all my pics and video on my mac at home. So for now I'll steal a couple from Facebook where I'm tagged and do my best to use my personal computer in the future.

Since I last posted a lot has happened. The students are all gone and I closed both my buildings! I am still working over the summer planning for the next year and helping out at Orientation and in Student Conduct and Community Standards. It's so nice having uninterrupted office hours! I feel so much more productive than I ever have during the school year. Plus I can be a little more flexible as to when I am actually in my office!

I went to Arizona for the NACURH national conference. It was a great experience and I loved visiting a part of the country I had never seen before. The weather wasn't that bad (apparently 85 is cool compared to the 100 plus temps they usually have in May) and the University of Arizona campus is beautiful. We took lots of pictures of cacti! Traveling there was the hardest part. I have going backwards over time zones and the jet lag made us all grumpy. Plus my suitcase got shredded somewhere between Rochester, Chicago, and Denver. We had three flights both legs of the trip, which adds up to a grand total of 6 flights in 4 days. It was definitely a whirlwind! Here's a pic of the whole group before the banquet:


Even though some of us are still working we are also having a lot of fun! We said good-bye to one of our co-workers last month when she left to take a job at another institution. Here's my friend Kim and me eating at her good-bye dinner.


Zay and I are also doing well. He gets these two months off, and he's going home to Boston for three weeks beginning this Sunday. I am going out there to visit and meet his family in early July. We haven't really been apart that much since we started dating. I think the longest was a week when he went to Mississippi on a service trip in March. It will be different without him around, but with work and I'll be going home for a couple weekends I think it will fly by. I'm more concerned with meeting his family, but that's an entirely different post. Since he's leaving soon we've been trying to spend as much time together as we can and do some special outings and dinners. Back in March I splurged and bought us some awesome seats for the Coldplay concert on June 1 at Darien Lake. Sometimes it's hard for us to find music we both enjoy, but we can always agree on Coldplay! It was a fantastic show and I will post video as soon as I can. We also went to the weddings of two former RAs we supervised (one from his days at Morrisville and one we both worked with at Geneseo. They didn't marry each other though.) and they were on the same day! We're in the process of planning our July trip to Maine. We changed the location last night when we realized Bar Harbor was further away than we thought and that Boothbay Harbor was like Maine's retirement center (we couldn't figure out why everything closed at 11 p.m. and then found out it's because old people go there). So we're sticking with Portland for 3 days taking day trips and going to the beach. I'll also post more details about that as well.

Still to come, a recital recap with pictures and video! Plus coming up this week is a visit from my friend Jamie and dinner with Leah, Michelle and babies!

No comments:

Post a Comment