After some consideration and reading Leah's baby blog for over a year, I decided to hop on this blog bandwagon to give me something to do when I am bored at work. Now, usually when I am bored at work that doesn't mean I have nothing to do. 95% of the time I am simultaneously managing multiple projects, doing my best to accommodate cranky students (and their parents), going to meetings, creating agendas, getting after my RAs... you get the idea. Except, if you've never worked in Residence Life before, you may not get the idea. Anyhow, the main point is that I do indeed have work to do, I just don't want to do it. For some reason, writing on the Internet is much more appealing than writing judicial letters at 2 in the afternoon.
I mentioned Leah's blog in my first sentance, and let me make sure you all know that she is in no way to blame for this. For those who don't know, Leah is one of my good friends from grad school who had a baby last year with her husband Sam. She is from the West coast, and all her immediate family is still there, so she created a baby blog that everyone can visit to keep them all in the loop. I have to say it was a great resource for me who has never had a child and got to experience it through her. The jury is still out about having that particular experience myself, but I won't think about that right now! It was just so fun to be able to keep up with what was going on in her life. I am the first to admit that I am the worst person at keeping in touch with people. There are many friends from my hometown, undergrad and grad school who I would very much like to maintain friendships with and haven't talked to since the last time we saw each other. I feel terrible about that, and they probably think I don't want anything to do with them. This really isn't true, and I hope that through this medium I can reconnect with some of them.
The next disclaimer is for Mrs. Lawson, my first grade teacher. It's not her fault that my spelling is atrocious. She was just following the state curriculum of 1989 that allowed children to spell words any way they desired and it would be correct. God forbid any criticism would bruise our fragile 6-year-old egos. So if you encounter a horribly misspelled word, please overlook it.
The title of my blog was difficult to come up with. I do think that my life is, for the most part, fairly uninteresting. My job is fun, but most days I do a lot of the same things. This part of the state (just south of Rochester, NY) doesn't have a whole lot going on, which lends itself to entertaining ourselves most of the time. Ususally this happens one of three ways: 1) hanging around someone's apartment watching tv or a movie and drinking, 2) taking a quick trip to Rochester for the mall, movie or food that's not regularly consumed by white people (think Thai, Indian, Jamaican, etc. Stuff that's not Applebee's, pizza or diner food), and 3) the rare opportunity of travelling out west to Buffalo and stay with friends or family. You'll soon find out that we partake in activity #1 a lot more often than the others.
The one fairly recent development that has made my life a little more interesting is my relationship with my fantastic boyfriend Isaiah. I'm not sure how much I'll be writing about our relationship (you're certainly never going to get ALL the information), but there will be posts about some fun things we do together, my trip to Boston in July to meet his family (I'm terrified) and our trip to Maine this summer. I can tell you that he makes me incredibly happy and has irrevocably changed my life. Ok, done with the gooey gushing, I promise I won't do that too often.
So, that's about it for now. I'll try to get some recent pictures up but I don't have any after January 14 when I fell down the stairs and broke my camera. Still haven't gotten a new one but I'm working on it. Somehow my money went to books, Vera Bradley, and hotels in Maine this month instead of a new camera like I had planned.
Wednesday, April 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Thanks for the shoutout! Your next task is to figure out how to put links with words so people can click on my name and get to my blog. We'll do this weekly task business until you master all the blog skills necessary to have a great blog (no worries it's already great and this will only take a few weeks!)
ReplyDeleteI'm excited to read about all of your adventures!! Woot Woot!
P.S. You are going to need a new camera for all of your adventures! Can't wait to see them.
ReplyDelete